How Hycrete Products Work
Hycrete admixtures bring new technical approach to the concrete waterproofing and corrosion inhibition world. Hycrete’s hydrophobic concrete admixtures start life as water-soluble, environmentally friendly, Cradle To Cradle certified materials. Dosed into concrete, they combine with metallic ions supplied by cement, forming water-insoluble polymers, and can increase concrete durability. Those polymers act in two ways:
1. Hydrophobic Pore Blocking. The polymers in Hycrete admixtures block pores in the concrete. The absorption of water in the concrete is dramatically reduced. Water and absorbed salts stay out of the concrete.
2. Corrosion Inhibition. Ionic in nature, the molecules in Hycrete admixtures also bind to the surface of any steel reinforcement in the concrete, forming passivating layers and minimizing rebar corrosion. Hycrete admixtures also barrier diffusion of ions through water that does absorb into the concrete, providing an extra layer of defense against corrosive agents, giving superior rebar protection.
1. Reduced water absorption in concrete (% on y-axis). Hycrete admixtures keep water out of concrete.
2. Corrosion resistance climbs. Rebar iron loss falls greatly when compared to controls – or the industry’s leading incumbent inhibitor.
3. Barriering of chloride transmission. Hycrete admixtures prevent ions from moving through concrete.
4. Pulse Velocity Recovery (%) of Cracked Concrete With Time
5. Hydrostatic pressure resistant. Hycrete-treated concrete passes the industry standard DIN-1048 tests.
- View the Hycrete testing summary to see the advantages of using Hycrete products.
- Concrete Durability – Understanding Water Transport Mechanisms in Concrete
- Hycrete Technical Documents
Contact us to learn how Hycrete products can help on your projects.